22nd March 2018
This page aims to help you understand what information we might collect about you and how we use it. It covers the product from Data8 ltd called the Data8 Business Universe.
Data8 ltd is a leading source of UK business information and insight. Data8's Business Universe contains more than 10 million business records. Some of the information we collect may be classified as personal data under current data protection legislation.
Data8 is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and will comply with the applicable data protection laws in all our dealings with your personal data.
What information do we collect about you
We collect information on businesses and business professionals. This includes the following examples:
- Company and business professional contact information, including name, job title, job role, job level, address, phone number, fax number and e-mail address.
- Detailed company profiles and statistics, including turnover and number of employees;
- Background information regarding company management, such as beneficial ownership/persons of significant control;
- Detailed trade and business credit information, including payment histories and patterns;
- Business information regarding profitability, debts, assets, net worth, and business relationships;
- Business compliance information from public source government and professional records, media and business publications;
We do not collect sensitive personal data about you or your company.
Our data originates from:
- Data8s Data Suppliers
- Governmental and administrative public records such as business registrations, company filings, court and bankruptcy filings
- Public sector information (e.g. Charity Commission, Company Registrars)
If you contact us, or when we contact you, we may keep a record of that correspondence. This may include call recordings, details of your visits to our site and emails exchanged.
Uses made of the information
We may use information held about you in the following ways. To:
- Supply commercial data about organisations to other organisations. The purpose of this processing is to enable businesses to manage their financial risks, protect against fraud, know who they are doing business with, meet compliance and regulatory obligations and better understand organisations, industries and markets.
- Licence or sell professional business contact information for marketing and data management purposes.
We collect and store personal data for the purpose of our business database. As such, we will only retain your personal data for as long as we believe it is accurate and up-to-date. We verify and cleanse our data periodically and will remove your data from our records if we think that it is no longer accurate.
We share our Business Universe (and that may include personal data) with:
- Customers – businesses and organisations with whom we enter into agreements to purchase or access our data.
- Resellers – we licence information to authorized resellers and third party businesses for reselling.
- Service providers - such as credit card processors, auditors, advisors, consultants, live help/chat providers and contractors, in order to support Data8's websites and business operations.
We contractually require these recipients to only use personal data for the intended purpose of the disclosure and that they destroy or return it when it is no longer needed.
We may also disclose personal data:
- As required or appropriate in order to protect our website, business operations or legal rights, or in connection with a sale or merger involving Data8 assets or businesses. (In the event that Data8 is purchased or sells parts or all of the business, the information collected will be considered an asset that can be transferred).
- To a court, tribunal administrative authority law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities or government agencies. If based in a country outside the EU we would only comply with such a request if there was an international agreement (such as a mutual legal assistance treaty) in place.
We use the information we obtain in order to produce scores and ratings. We may also carry out customised profiles for our customers. We use highly developed scoring models and algorithms, based on previous similar circumstances, adverse events and economic forecasts to produce a score.
We recommend to our customers how to interpret and use our scores. Our customers may choose to use our scores alone or combine the scores with other information available to them. Their decision making will be based around whether to insure or market to, extend credit, acquire, trade or partner with a business. Our scores predict whether a business is likely to continue trading, pay its bills on time, receive credit, whether they would be likely to purchase a product or service, where they benchmark within their industry or whether they are subject to any specific risks. We do not make any decisions about an organisation – we do not hold blacklists and we do not tell our customers whether to trade with an organisation.
Where we store your personal data
We will store your data in our secure server centres in the UK. We will only transfer personal data to recipients outside the EU if sufficient adequacy decisions, data transfer agreements or other EU approved mechanisms exist for such transfers.
Legal basis to process your personal data
In technical legal terms we process personal data under the ground of legitimate interest. Data8s legitimate business interest is the supply of commercial data (and the marketing of our business). The purpose of this processing is to enable businesses to manage their financial risks, protect against fraud, know who they are doing business with, meet compliance and regulatory obligations and better understand organisations, industries and markets. We also licence or sell professional business contact information to authorized resellers or organisations for marketing and data management purposes.
Your rights including opting out
You have various rights under data protection law, including the rights to:
- Request to see the personal data we hold about you;
- Request that we correct or delete any inaccuracies in the personal data that we hold on you;
- Object to processing that is likely to cause or is causing damage or distress;
- Prevent processing for direct marketing
If any of your personal data is inaccurate you have a right to request rectification. We are very keen to ensure the data we hold is accurate and up to date.
You have the right to object to our processing and/or request it is deleted or restricted. In considering our response we undertake to ensure your interests, fundamental rights and freedoms are properly balanced against our legitimate interests. We will also look at whether it is still necessary to process your data for the purpose it was collected.
If you wish to talk to us about any of the above or if you simply would like to be removed from the Data8 Business Universe, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org including the name, business name, address, telephone number and email address that you wish to have excluded.
Additionally, you have the right to raise a concern or complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 1113 (www.ico.org.uk).
Data Protection Lead Officer
Stanney Mill Road